Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Development of Humor

Today is a watermark day, people. Today's the day A first found something funny on his own, without prompting.

Our sweet white cat Niles has been neglected recently, so we've been making an effort to play with him more often. This morning I found one of his cat toys and starting throwing it up in the air to Niles. Niles would jump up and catch it in both paws. (He's brilliant, this cat.) I had A standing up against me, looking away from me towards Niles. All I'm saying throughout this is, "Niles, ready? Go get it!"

After two tosses, once Niles started getting really into it and jumping higher, A started laughing, fully belly laughs. There wasn't anything else going on, so I tossed the toy to Niles again and once Niles caught it, A laughed. Every time Niles caught the toy, A laughed. He laughs when we tickle him, make faces, or talk silly to him and laugh with him, but this is the first time he's spontaneously burst into laughter on his own cognition. It's pretty amazing.

Of course, Niles was nonplussed by the drooling unpredictable flesh lump making loud laughing noises at him, so he stopped once A got really revved up. But I'm sure he'll adapt.

Other news: A has figured out how to blow raspberries, so everything's now misted in baby spit.

No comments: