Thursday, October 14, 2010

Vowels and consonants

We've started teaching A to read. Well, not true. We've been reading to him since he came home from the hospital, and that's part of teaching A to read. I read from early, early and don't remember learning to read, so I just assumed A would have picked it up by now because we read all the time. I'm surprised L doesn't read yet either.

Then I realized, hmm, maybe I'm a little naive about these things.

His pre-K teacher told me, "A's got a memory I can't believe. That kid remembers everything." They were learning new songs, and A knew all the words before the teachers. He's interested in words, books, and songs, and he's got a good memory. Time to read.

So I got a book on teaching reading through phonics, since C learned phonics and his guesses on pronunciation of new words are more to the mark than mine. The book we have talks about the difference between consonants and vowels, as well as the different types of consonant sounds (voiced, unvoiced, nasal). I thought this was a little much but lo and behold, he was able to differentiate for me between the different types. ("That one doesn't need air, Mommy.")

We're up to M now. Now everything that has words is "Look, there are some vowels and consonants on there!" Not letters. Not words. Vowels and consonants.

We've had a couple instances where I'm not sure if he was reading or just memorized something. I'm guessing memorization since his Pre-K has an extensive library and so I don't know all the books he's read. When we actually finish the book, it's going to be difficult to get a book the Pre-K doesn't have to test him.

No comments: