Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Death of a car

C and I drive very old Volvos. Well, we did, except that C's car died. It died died. It wouldn't start. He tried putting the paddles on it to shock it back to life, but alas, it was lost. We towed it to the garage and after the mechanic said, well, so far, I've found that you need a new engine, we said, stop right there and sent the car off to the donation junkyard.

So we're car shopping. My car today decided that it didn't want to change gears, which is a problem since it's an automatic and it's supposed to change gears (you know, automatically).

I know my car is twenty years old and it's tired.

I even had it in my head that I would drive it for ten years, until it was twenty years old, and then I would get a new car.

But now the time has come and I'm just not ready. Sigh.

Have you ever tried car shopping with an 18-month-old? It's short. You can go for a test drive and then you're pretty much done for the day. It's the perfect excuse to get away from slimy salesmen. Why don't women sell cars (aside from that hottie in the Sopranos who took a roll with Tony)?

Anyone have car buying advice? I'm pretty much open to anything.

2 comments:

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

I have loved both my
Hondas and my Acuras. My mechanic says he never sees those makes except for routine maintenence.

Miss Kim said...

Yeah, I think we're going to end up with a Honda. But we'll see. We're just dragging our feet but we need to get it done soon.