Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Cannoli and the Mouse

Yesterday was also a good day to be almost-two and disgusting.

We went to buy cat food. The store has these chi-chi dog biscuits shaped like cookies and bon bons and what not, complete with little bakery-style bags and napkins to put them in.

A decided to take a big bite out of a cannoli-shaped dog biscuit, which I then bought in mortification. He almost took a bite out of a faux sugar cookie, but the sales girl told me, "It's okay, I'll just rub the teethmarks out of it," when I offered to buy that one as well.

Anyway, if that wasn't disgusting enough, then we went to the zoo. On one of the paths, there's a catchbasin filled with water, and A likes to throw a leaf or two in there when we walk by.

Yesterday, he throws a leaf in and looks down and picks up something else and is about to throw it in when I realize what it is: a dead mouse. Actually, it's a small dead rat, but it could have been a large mouse. Maybe.

So I scream, "No, no, no, no, no," like a banshee, make him drop it, then keep his hand firmly in my grip while I pull the stroller over and rummage one-handed through the diaper bag for the Purell. A begins to cry.

A nice woman with two kids who saw this whole incident stopped and took A's arm and kept him occupied while I looked for hand sanitizer. I found it and doused him with half the bottle. Then I washed his hands at the next bathroom. And I took him to First Aid, where they basically said, "Oh, dead mouse, well, wash his hands with warm water, that's about it." I think they had just gotten through a macaw biting someone, so I understand they were preoccupied.

As a fun fact, the zoo apparently keeps a virologist on staff to study disease vectors in vermin deaths.

I'll be happier when A develops a disgust factor. Yup.

2 comments:

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

Oh dear, can we say black plague? I never saw you as a purell freak but I'm glad you had it when you needed it.

Miss Kim said...

Can we say hantavirus? Oh my. It's one of these situations where if he's going to contract the plague, then he's got it and there's nothing to be done about it. Handwashing takes care of the rest of the beasties. Ick.

I am so a Purell mom!