Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Preschool decisions and potty training

We're approaching A's third (!) birthday, which is monumental in that it's the day his services like free preschool and speech therapy get turned off. Oh no! He's really thriving with preschool and speech, so it's hard for me to imagine his life without them.

In any case, we've just started potty training (although Daddy is the potty trainer of choice, so the rest of us have to get in line behind Daddy), which absolutely positively must be accomplished by three to get him into any preschool. We've established that he can stay at his current preschool (which was more reasonably priced than previously thought, which is good) and enroll in August, which is super and always an option. I have to research other options now.

Potty training is difficult. Really difficult. He's getting bribed with pennies (his current latest obsession, happily cheap) for sitting on the potty, but he hasn't quite made the how things work connection, and really, how do you teach someone how to urinate? The mind boggles.

5 comments:

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

Through a potty party. Get all his favorite drinks, books, games, snacks, and treats. Take his pants off and plan to spend all morning in the bathroom. Both of mine were trained in one day! Lexi wanted Princess panties and Jack wanted play-dough. At the end of the day, when they had been dry all day with no accidents, they got their special present.

Miss Kim said...

Yeah, I've been reading about the potty parties but I honestly can't picture him (or me) with the stamina to stay inside in the bathroom all day. But maybe I'm underthinking it.

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

We weren't necessarily in the bathroom all day. We took the potty seat outside at one point. Still, it was a long day. My sister tried the pleading, cajoling, begging, rewarding, even punishing route for weeks! One long day seemed like a better option.

Miss Kim said...

No, totally. I think that'll be our Saturday. I've got a new toilet-topper potty, new underpants, and resolution to just cope with accidents. I think that's the worst part--letting someone loose in your house with pee and poop knowing there will be an accident.

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

I don't think you will have many accidents. It is uncomfortable to be wet. A is not stupid (especially not coming from you)! He won't like the feeling anymore than we would. Diapers just do such a great job of keeping them feeling dry. I don't think this will turn out to be difficult at all. Good luck! I will be praying for you.