Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mommy the monster

I'm sure all parents have the "oh hell" days, where they realize (after the fact) that their kid has recognized something they had not and parenting decisions were made in error.

This is today for me.

We went to the zoo after A's morning nap. He was walking around pretty well. I offered him his cup, and he didn't want it, which is pretty common, so we walked around some more. He kept signing drink at me, and I offered him the cup, which he threw on the ground.

I got irritated and told him that if he didn't want a drink, he should just put it back in the basket where it belongs. He took the cup out of the basket and threw it, with great vehemence, on the ground, away from the stroller.

I picked up the cup, put it back in the basket, informed A that he had a choice between continuing to walk or riding in the stroller but that he was going to leave that cup alone and if he didn't he would be put into the stroller and we would leave the zoo immediately.

He threw the cup on the ground again.

He kicked and screamed when I buckled him into the stroller but quieted quickly and I walked him out of the middle of the zoo as quickly as possible with no conversation.

We get to the car and what is there? A's sippy cup.

What cup have I been offering him? The one from yesterday with mildew-scented bacteria-laden disgusting nasty water.

Was my boy trying to communicate, hey, Mom, this water is nasty; could you get me some more? Yes. Did I get it? No.

So now I'm going to assuage my bad parent guilt with Mary Poppins and cookies. He's already got fresh water. I wonder what disease he'll get from sipping nasty day-old water.

1 comment:

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

Oh, the exquisite guilt! I used to think my mother was the queen of guilt. She has nothing on my kids! They look at me like "I am SO putting you in the crooked old folks home from 60 minutes!"