Sunday, March 21, 2010

Productivity

It's hard in the trenches. I hit a wall--or I keep hitting the same wall, where I realize how much time and energy new nurslings take up. L's been having a growth spurt (maybe? the Wii tells us he's only gained a pound or so), so he's been spending a lot more time in arms. And when the baby's nursing, I'm not doing anything else (except for reading, watching DVDs, or playing Settlers of Catan on the TV).

And there's a lot going on that I want to be doing. In February, I thought, okay, I'll resume my grown-up attachment responsibilities. So back to being secretary of this organization and that one, back to organizing the cutting sale, back to committees and meetings and minutes. And I often bring L along with me, since I need to pump to be away from him, and let me tell you, when he's on a nursing streak, the absolute last thing I'm interested in doing is pumping.

But. Today's been good. Everyone's well. All the shopping is done; I've done some clothing repairs that have not been done since they require both the iron and the sewing machine, which is not something that can often co-exist with one parent, a baby and a preschooler. I'm hoping to finish, as a bonus, a bag to store my super-deluxe-find-cheap kite that I bought last fall, which will probably serve no purpose other than to make me absurdly happy.

I've purged some clothes and pulled others out of storage. I've realized that I've not been wearing any of my maternity clothing for some time since it's too big and that I can pitch it--if we go for number three, and that's a mighty big and far-off if at this time, I'm going to want some different clothes. I don't know if it's nursing, or the life without dairy, or the Wii Fit Plus, but I'm getting fitter.

L is smiling big now, huge radiant smiles. He talks and sings along with me, little goo-goo-goo noises that make me want to eat him up. He is such a mellow creature, so easy-going and cheerful, just a snuggler.

A is still taken with his big brother role; today he had a moment of huff when L managed to pick up one of A's toys. So I laid down the rule: take away a toy, give the baby another toy. And that seemed to work, at least today.

I'm hoping to call a half a dozen people this week. I just need to get the time and the phone all in the same place. And don't you love when someone tells you they're expecting twins, and you think, "Wow, you are exactly the right people to have twins. You will rock twins." I do. (I'm not expecting twins. No! I would not do well with them.)

No comments: