Friday, January 22, 2010

First week of school

Last weekend, our fabulous friends the Bumps came to town and met Mr. L, played with Mr. A, and a fabulous time was had by all. They brought a quilt made by Mrs. Bump (the quilter, not the runner). L has a quilt made just for him! And it's gorgeous and useful in the cold we've been having.

All our visitors have had the sucky weather. Both the Bumps and the grandparents got stuck with the cold snaps, and now we're in the middle of the deluge. Today we even had bean-bag-filler hail, so it's pretty serious for weather here. No signs of flooding for us, which is good, and no signs of ants, which is the bad part about days of rain.

It was the training-wheel week this week, where A went back to school (happy A) while C had one more week before returning to work. I've been alone with L and alone with A and L a couple times, so we'll see how next week goes. A s so thrilled to be in school again and we're thrilled to be back on a more normal schedule for life and naps.

I realized this week that the thank you notes are still sitting half-composed in piles on our bookcases. Christmas cards are a lost cause. Oy.

L is six weeks old and quite the snuggler. He's having a growth spurt, because he's been nursing a lot and is unhappy to be out of my arms for very long. He's gassier than A was (is this rude to report?). I'm starting to eliminate the obvious gassy things from my diet (onions, broccoli, etc.), but I'm a-feared that there will be a dairy-fast in the near future. I have the diet of a Northern European milkmaid: milk and cereal, cheese and bread, cheese and apples, yogurt and fruit, and more milk. I'm not sure what I will eat for protein when I don't have milk (beans? that seems contraindicated by the gassiness).

No comments: