Wednesday, September 12, 2007

the banana bread incident

Today I thought we'd have some Mother-Son baking bonding time. There were a couple bananas left over from A's bout with herpangina when he was only on liquids, but they were banana bread-tastic.

I put the bananas in a bowl, gave A a spoon, and showed him how to mush them up. He thought this was super, didn't fling too many everywhere, and did a good job. (I say "Good job!" four hundred million billion times a day now.) I put together the rest of the batter, and A happily stirred and ate banana mush.

Then it was time for the bananas to be added to the rest of the batter. Oh no, lots of screaming. Screaming at a volume and pitch I didn't know he was capable of. I showed him how I was adding it to the big bowl of batter, and he tried to eat the batter. Of course, it has raw egg in it and of course, I've read Marion Nestle's What to Eat so I'm no longer eating batter with raw eggs. So I explain to him that he can't eat it and that there's salmonella and the rates of salmonella poisoning have increased exponentially since I was a kid so I'm going to have to get pasteurized eggs for him to eat batter, and then I realize I'm trying to explain salmonella to a one-year-old.

I can't wait for him to have language.

No comments: