Sunday, September 09, 2007

Car seat drama

It should be car seat trauma. We bought a cheaper, smaller car seat for C's car because we know we'll be traveling by plane in the next year (or two or three) and the grand seat doesn't fit in plane seats. I know that seems silly but these seats are huge.

Buying the smaller seat was its own comic farce where we discovered no convertible car seat fits in the center seat of C's car after we'd taken back the smaller seat on the grounds that it didn't fit. Then we ended up back in Target five hours later buying the same seat we'd returned earlier that day.

The problem is that A cries when he sits in this seat for very long. It's not as well padded, the angle and width of the seat is such that his head goes to an uncomfortable angle when he's sleeping. But all of this is nothing against the fact that he cries when he's awake and in the seat. Our guy is pretty easy-going and often sleeps in the car. Crying means something's wrong. He cried all the way back from the Wild Animal Park last week, which I thought was because he was still sick. But he cried just as much yesterday when he's perfectly well.

So yesterday, after listening to much crying while driving around doing normal Saturday errands, we decided to get another swanky car seat and keep the other seat as a travel one. This means we'll be scraping for the next couple weeks to pay for the seat, but A actually burbled happily in the new seat yesterday so it's worth it.

There was drama in buying it. It was like a what not to do for customer service. We wanted to buy it at Target, since the color at Target matches C's car better. Can you check to see if you have one in the back, I ask the Target person who comes to the little beep. Sorry, ma'am, we don't do that. (Funny, the manager I talked to a week ago did.) But take this number to Guest Services and they'll check other stores for you. Oh, the computer's not working at Guest Services. But the Guest Services person will give me the phone number of the other Targets so I can call and find one there. (Not so they can call. So I can call.) I actually called another Target before I finally got through to someone who said, "Okay, I'll check, no I don't need the number," and then hung up on me. So we bought the car seat at the baby hellhole and I think I'm going to write a letter to Target explaining why I took my $220 to their competitor.

The other baby drama is that I fed A some Kashi multigrain crackers and he had a minor allergic reaction to them. Of course, they are 12-grain crackers and it's impossible to troubleshoot from there. So he's back on less-grainy crackers and we'll try and figure which of the 12 grains he's allergic to. He loves crackers right now.

Baby food news: he loves, loves, loves the Peach Perfection All-Fruit smoothies from Jamba Juice. I had a strawberry one and he thought that was okay, but once he had a bite of C's, oh my, that was it, lots of frantic and insistent pointing to C's cup. Once he figures out straws, we'll be in serious trouble. I think he ate a third of C's smoothie.

No comments: