Thursday, October 29, 2009

Am Vets: score!

[Health note: still voiceless. Didn't sleep really well last night. Am taking today very easy with soup and tea and not much activity.]

Baby 2.0 is a-coming and it's going to be a completely different time of year for us to have a newborn. A was born during the hottest summer on record, so despite all the warnings and shopping lists in baby magazines which said we'd need 6-12 sleepers at least depending on how often we wanted to do laundry because he should be dressed in whatever we wore plus a layer, he spent most of his first two months in onesies. Honestly, I spent a lot of time (any time I could get away with it) in my underwear and nursing camisole and felt like I had too many clothes on. A would have cooked in a sleeper and a blanket. He's hot like C is, anyway, and has been from the beginning.

This means we don't have a huge supply of newborn/tiny sleepers for Baby 2.0. After seeing exactly how quickly babies grow out of their newborn gear, I'm not exactly jumping up and down to spend a lot of money outfitting this one. But this kid will need something respectable and warm to wear.

Enter AmVets, thrift store extraordinaire. One of my writer friends here turned me onto the local AmVets store last March, where I found a Fisher-Price garage for A for the princely sum of $1.50.

As we've been getting closer to the end of the pregnancy, I've been stopping by AmVets maybe once a week after dropping A and C off. I've gotten a couple things here and there, but thrift store shopping is always hit or miss. Plus, this AmVets is huge and busy and it takes a certain amount of fortitude to gear up and shop there, particularly on half-price sale days. But I went yesterday and let me tell you, I did good.
  • Six (non-gender-specific) sleepers from good manufacturers (Gap, Nordstrom's, Le Top), normally $2 each, on sale for $1 each.
  • A bright yellow (read: gender neutral) fleece bunting for babies up to 15 pounds, also gender neutral, normally $3, down to $1.50. I wasn't going to get Baby 2.0 a jacket or bunting, but jeez, for $1.50, why not?
  • A Christmas-patterned gender-neutral Hanna Andersson zipper in pristine condition, size 80 (too big now for Baby 2.0 and too small for A, but good for Baby 2.0 in one year if not two), $3.
I'm so tickled. I haven't unearthed our stored baby stuff yet (need to), but with yesterday's haul and the items I've picked up previously, I'm feeling much better about Baby 2.0's wardrobe.

Besides, we just need enough to get us through the initial period of not knowing what the gender is. Then the shopping will be much, much easier, right? Especially if it's a boy.

2 comments:

Lana Bump said...

Even if it is a girl there will be an avalanche of cute clothes coming your way, I have on good authority.

Miss Kim said...

Oh my, the potential for girl clothes just frightens me; there's so much cuteness out there. I just meant that we've already got a stash of boy stuff, although we did do a lot of trade-ins of the real small stuff.