Monday, November 30, 2009

Keeping an open mind

We drove home from preschool this afternoon. A cyclist (using the term loosely to define person on bike since he had no helmet, no signaling ability, a cigarette dangling from his mouth, and no sense) swerved in front of me while I turned left when he really should have been stopped on his side of the light where it was red.

"Stupid biker ASSHOLE!" I said, then realized I had the three-year-old in the back. (Again, when the kid swears, yes, it will be my fault and it will be something he learned in the car.)

"I'm sorry, A," I said. "That was a bad word and Mommy shouldn't have yelled. The biker just scared her by riding really, really badly."

"It's okay," A said, "You were expressing yourself."

I stifled the urge to laugh, and said, "Yes, but there are better words to express myself with and I could have used any of them."

"You need to express yourself. You need to have an open mind," said the zen master in the back seat.

"What's an open mind, honey?"

"An open mind is when you listen without yelling."

I'm floored. "Yes, I guess that pretty much sums it up, sweetheart."

No comments: