Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"Not on the head!"

Sometimes when I pick A up from preschool, he's very tired. I've been trying to keep him from falling asleep in the car so I don't have to pick him up and carry him upstairs. One of the ways in which I do that is to engage A in ridiculous conversations on the way home, because he can (and does) wake up into outraged incredulousness.

When I picked him up today, he looked groggy. I don't remember why, but the subject of diapers came up.

"Oh, yes," I said, "you can help me put diapers on the baby's nose when the baby comes."

No response from the sleepy boy in the back.

"Because that's where you wear diapers, on the baby's head."

Again, no response. When I got him home, he was still awake and needed a snack before his nap, but no comments on the diapers.

He woke up from his nap a little while ago and was puttering around here with toys (he wakes up slow and grumpy from a nap, like his mommy). Finally, he got between me and my keyboard to announce:

"Mommy, you don't put diapers on the baby's nose or the baby's head. You put diapers on your penis."

No comments: