Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunday night and boy's asleep

It's amazing but I've had two nights of actual rest. After a bad stretch of not-sleeping, I ordered two more books about sleep. One of them suggested that an extra-thick coating of diaper cream would do the trick; lordy, if that author was here I would kiss her with serious intentions. A's been sleeping for longer stretches ever since we've been greasing him up like a pole. Cross your fingers that I didn't just jinx it.

This is not to overlook the efforts of my darling husband, who has been whisking the boy away yesterday and today when A loses interest in the toys in his crib and wants attention so that I can get a couple more hours of sleep. This makes me profoundly grateful. It also allows me to quote charming notes found at my bedside, like this morning's: "Boyzilla and I are running some errands. Back with breakfast." Sleeping alone (well, with a small black cat curled up beside me) feels like an incredible luxury right now. The decadent hedonism I used to associate with a day at The Spa is now associated with the two extra hours of sleep when someone I love is taking care of the boy.

A is the cutest little thing in the universe. He's smiley and happy most of the time and giggles like a fiend now when tickled or babbled at. He loves being carried around in the Bjorn and grins at everyone. A woman stopped us in Target to ask, "How old is he?"
"Almost six months."
"He's beautiful. You know, I had six children, all naturally, no painkillers. And now I have eleven grandchildren." And she smiled hugely and went on her merry way. People do that all the time when we're out with him. C pointed out this morning that people driving by are now checking out how cute A is from the sanctity of their cars. I have a lot more sympathy for the paparazzi now just in how much time we spend out and about talking to strangers. (I don't mind talking to strangers about how cute my boychik is. I can't imagine how annoyed I'd be if people wanted to harass me about what I was wearing or how my marriage was. I'd be all Sean Penn.)

And hey, I ordered Italian CDs today, so I guess we'll have to go to Italy.

No comments: