Monday, January 08, 2007

Wonder of wonders

I woke up not half an hour ago (still fully dressed), changed the yelling little baby with the wet pants and laid him down in the crib, then went in search of my husband. He was still cleaning post-mouse-calypto. Shelves were bleached, items on shelves were bleached, and he'd taken out three bags of trash of expired/questionable foods. But he said with a wicked, sleep-deprived and slap-happy grin, "I caught one of the f*ckers."

Happily, not with his bare foot. He set a trap in the garage behind the freezer and there went Mr. Mouse. Cats were fascinated. Like I said before, they're lovers, not fighters.

This is not the most amazing part of our evening. C says to me, "Where's the boy?"
"In his crib."
"Is he sleeping?" We listen. Silence.
"Must be."
"Did you swaddle him?"
"No." Beat. "Let me go see if he's alive." Yup, sure enough, A's rolled over on his tummy and gone to sleep his sweet self. Makes you want to sing some Fiddler.

No comments: