Friday, August 17, 2007

Stupid bibs

Yesterday the NYT had an article saying some of Toys R Us's baby bibs were contaminated with lead. Unfortunately, they're the ones A has. Bleack.

Duly motivated, I took A for his lead screening, which is a normal part of the 12-month checkup but I just hadn't gotten around to doing yet. The phlebotomist was not the best we've ever had, but A was a superstar. The guy stuck him in the arm, lost the vein, moved the needle around for twenty seconds to find the vein while A watched (not screaming). I was about to scream myself but settled for asking with the right amount of umbrage and studied casualness: "Do you want to try his other arm now?"

"No, I've almost got it," he said, and in a second, yes, he did. A did not yell or cry during any of it. When I put him in his stroller to go, he pulled his band-aid off. The guy gave us another band-aid and taped it to A's arm.

The window where A used bibs was actually pretty small, but it still makes me nervous. I'm about to go throw out all his non-German toys. I think the Germans are the only ones left I trust.

No comments: