Monday, August 27, 2007

And just because I can't possibly milk enough sympathy for my baby....

When we got into the exam room, the assistant informed us that she wanted to set up a urine collection bag just in case the doctor needed a sample. Okay, I say, since I really don't know what's wrong with my kid.

She swabs down all A's bits with iodine solution, then puts a glorified ziplock with a round self-adhesive seal over all of A's bits. Then we seal it into the diaper. The plastic bag was probably as big as the diaper. It could not have been comfortable. I haven't stuffed a Hefty bag into my undies to check, but it seems wrong.

Of course they don't need a sample. Before we leave, I stop the assistant and say, "Do you need a sample? If you don't, could you remove the bag?" Watching poor cranky A get a bandaid airlock taken off his most tenderest of tenders was just about as much mommydom as I could take today. (I know, there are parents with kids in cancer wards and hospices...this is just a band-aid. I know! Still doesn't mean I like seeing my baby uncomfortable.) Next time you take a band-aid off, think about how much more worrisome adhesive is south of the border.

No comments: