Thursday, May 25, 2006

Standard Prenatal Visit, Week 31

There was a long wait this morning for my appointment. Oy.

The GTT came back negative, so good news there, plus they checked my iron levels while they had my blood and I'm good for iron as well. Protein, glucose, and blood pressure readings are all fine. Fetal heart rate is 140-150 bpm. Fundal height was 31 cm, which is exactly where we should be for 31 weeks.

The midwife I've been seeing the most is leaving the birth center before I give birth, so that was a little disconcerting. She's leaving to go to another hospital without 24 hour on-call duties so she can have the reliable time to raise kids, so I can respect that. She hopes to be back at the birth center in a couple years. I met the midwife who is taking her place and she seems friendly. The new midwife will probably still be in an orientation period when I'm due which means I might end up with two midwives for the birth, which is great for me.

Oh, and we tried to figure out if the kid was head down, but the head's not big enough to feel yet. However, due to where I'm being kicked (higher on my side than lower), we think the kid is probably head down. Most kids are head down by 32 weeks, so the next visit should be more informative.