Saturday, April 29, 2006

Calls from the ER

The doctor who saw me in the ER Wednesday called to ask how I was doing. I can count on one hand the number of times a doctor has ever called me at home to follow up, let alone an ER doctor.

I told him that I'd gone in for my follow up at the birth center and what my midwife said (which he laughed and said was good advice) and that the inhaler seemed to be helping the most so far. He told me to watch for excessive heart palpitations (110-120 bpm) since sometimes an inflammation of tissues around the heart can develop during pregnancy, but he said he would expect me to be short of breath more than wheezing if that was happening. But that I should be aware and if that happened to come back to the ER.

But I was just amazed that he called to follow up. How's that for an ER experience?