Friday, April 14, 2006

It's raining. Maybe that's why I'm down on shopping.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm having a hard time finding non-ugly petite maternity clothes.

We are currently underwhelmed by the prospect of shopping for the kid. It's come up now because we're in month six and month six was the mythical line in the sand we'd set for ourselves to start the process of acquiring all the things we need to have a baby. Now that it's here, I'm still not excited.

Going to a baby superstore just makes me feel icky. At some point after the confirmation, we went to a certain very well known superstore to check things out. The sheer volume of things for sale was astounding. We ran. We ignored shopping until month six, and now, here we are.

I don't know why I thought the passage of time would make me feel more cheerful about the outbreak of consumerism in this country.

We've been asked about registering for stuff, and it just seems like registering for paper towels or milk. I would rather be surprised by the kindness and ingenuity of people.

The most extensively detailed list I have right now is the list of books that our child must be exposed to, and past that, I'm just not attached to the stuff. Stuff doesn't make good parents. Once the kid is here and has interests and I can find stuff that meets those interests, then I'll be excited (as I am now when I find the perfect gift for someone), but for right now, it's just stuff.