Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Protein tracking

The Bradley Method is big on nutrition. This means eating enough amounts of the nutrients a growing baby needs, specifically protein (80-100g per week) without regard to weight gain or salt intake. This is based on the work of Dr. Brewer, who found that high protein diets for pregnant woman prevented pre-eclampsia and other nasties. I've had to track my diet for the last week as homework. I am not eating enough veggies (but I knew that), but I have protein covered in spades. Counts for the week are:

Wednesday: 110 g
Thursday: 93 g
Friday: 129 g
Saturday: 70.7 g
Sunday: 85 g
Monday: 101.5 g
Tuesday: (early estimate) 93 g

I'll let you know what my teacher thinks. This made me feel better about my lack of massive weight gain. I already had an unhealthy dose of padding due to my new job of sitting on my butt and not having to go anywhere. First month, I lost five pounds, most probably from my concerted efforts to "eat right" and my sudden aversion to fried food (after all, my first hint that I might be pregnant was eating In-n-Out and feeling sick). I didn't really make it back to my starting weight until the second trimester.

The last couple visits have been up a pound, down a pound. My midwife is not concerned by any of this (if I was vomiting or not eating, she would be). Most of the books say I should be packing on the pounds by now. I have read this week that some overweight women don't gain much due to the changes in diet and exercise, so I'm satisfied with that for right now. I haven't been consciously trying to gain or lose weight; keeping sushi and Brie out of my diet is enough trauma without eating rabbit food and ignoring chocolate.