Saturday, June 17, 2006

It's Saturday and nobody's awake but me.

Even the cats are still asleep. Usually one of them will get up with me and keep me company.

Since work has been what we call around here No Fun, there's been no time to blog. Yesterday the high-end playard sheets we ordered finally came in. They seem a great improvement on the percale ones made by the playard manufacturer. We've got to wash all this baby stuff sometime before the baby gets here and figure out where it goes in our sliding block puzzle of a house (it meaning the stuff, not the baby).

The true agenda item for the weekend is figuring what I have had a hard time eating with braces (Skor bars, for example) that I can still eat while being pregnant (crusty bread but not the Brie; not large sushi rolls just yet). Then we have to go buy whatever that is.

I would love to have popcorn, but I've noticed that my cat allergies have been elevated during the pregnancy. Our kitties only scratch us accidentally, usually if they're surprised by a loud noise and take off with their claws out. The few times someone's scratched me, the scratch has immediately swollen into a huge bug bite type angry welt, which doesn't normally happen. I'm guessing this is an exaggerated response to my cat allergy. Since my corn allergy is more vicious than my cat allergy, I should probably skip the popcorn. But I love it so. Then I start thinking about the odds of the kid picking up the corn allergy from corn proteins in breast milk, and oh, it's probably a long time before I have popcorn again. I really don't want this kid to inherit some of the food allergies we've got in the gene pool (corn, wheat, tomato).

When I go into early labor, I'm heading to Whole Foods to stock the fridge with Brie for when we come home. I may even be packing Brie for my high-protein meal post-birth. I'll have to check the protein counts on St. Andre (hmm, 3 g per oz., not good).