Monday, June 12, 2006

The X-Men is eh, so that's all I'm saying about seeing it.

The cats are psycho today. Our little black kitty is pretty irritated that my lap has disappeared and he keeps walking from the desk, to the keyboard, to the desk, looking for some piece of me to sit upon. The only things available are my hands and wrists and then the keyboard goes ;;;;;;;;;;;;;lllllll00000000 while I try to dislodge him. His brother just convinced him to play run around the house, so I can type freely for now.

We're coming down to the wire of baby-preparedness and so we dutifully went to the Target and the baby superstore. This weekend's prey: baby medicines, diapers, and diaper disposal units.

Before I get to the diaper disposal issue, I would like to address the cloth-diapering issue. I thought about cloth diapering (CD). With the sanitation issues, CD didn't look like it was more environmentally-friendly - all that detergent's going into the water somewhere. With all the things needed for CD (liners, diapers themselves, and diaper covers, regardless of diaper service), it certainly didn't seem cheaper, which surprised me. The research seemed to say that CD kids potty trained faster, but without an environmental or financial advantage, it seemed honestly like too much of a hassle. The easier, the better seems to be the decision-making process right now; we can always change later. I admire the people who are doing it; I just can't be that dedicated right now. There will be enough new things to learn.

So, now that we're filling the landfills with plastic, people seem pretty divided on the topic of diaper disposal. Some people seem to think diaper disposal wonders like the Diaper Genie, the Diaper Dekor, and the Diaper Champ are the best things in the universe and some people think they are absolutely useless and we should just take the trash out. For $30, we figured the Diaper Champ, the highest rated product in our Baby Bargains bible, was worth a shot. It uses regular kitchen bags, so there's no cost on refills. As with everything else, if it doesn't work, we'll figure something else out.

I've gotten recommendations on sizing (S or M, even with humongous breasts) from the nice people at Peanut Shell, but I have to wait to order that until 1-2 weeks before my due date to be able to return/exchange it if it doesn't work. Unfortunately, the closest baby store that carries it is in OC, which is too far for me. The gas will cost more than the shipping.

Oh, and I look huge, say J & T who hadn't seen me for two weeks. Well, to be fair, J said it over and over and T didn't disagree but kept his comments to himself. T is a wise man. I'll have to get Mistah C to take a side view when I'm dressed for the public instead of working at home in my ripped yoga pants.

No baby-related medical appointments this week, but I have a pre-braces-removal cleaning. I would also like to get in touch with the stupid eye doctor to get new glasses before the kid arrives, since I think I'll wear my glasses more often when I'm trying to nap frequently.

The kid is active. Very active. Lots of kicking and wriggling going on.