Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tickers Gone Wild

Okay, so I spend some of my day reading bulletin boards, and due to the nature of the boards I've been reading recently, a lot of the posters have a signature that includes a ticker that counts down to their due dates.

I'm not fond of the ticker. I think those are encouraging an already inflated self-centered state of existence (quite the statement from someone with a preggo blog, I know). It also gets people too keyed up on the estimated due date. It's not FedEx. 5% of all kids arrive on their due dates. I'll start being annoyed after the first week of August. I certainly would rather the kid finishes cooking and arrives no earlier than 40 weeks.

But today, I saw one level above the pregnancy countdown. It was a "trying to conceive" (TTC) ticker which informed me of when the poster would be ovulating. (It also told me that the poster was going trying to conceive in God's time, which was also too much information.)

Knowing when someone is ovulating + knowing that someone is TTC = knowing way too much about their sex life. Just tell me when you're expecting. If you've got one coming and you're telling me about it in that "We're having a baby!" way instead of the, "I'm pregnant; will you drive me to the abortion clinic?" way, I'm happy for you. That's all. The rest I really don't like thinking about.