Monday, June 19, 2006

Today's the day!

No, not labor. Good grief, I'm just going into 35 weeks this week, people. Nope, today's the day I get my braces off.

Let's see: Saturday we ended up deciding that we were not intended to see Cars, when we encountered a flat tire on the Mistah's car, then a slow-leaking tire on my car (we knew about that one at least), then a huge-ass gasoline truck making it impossible to get to the air refill thing at the nearest gas station. This is the point where I turned to Mistah C and said, "Doesn't it strike you as funny that we're having all this car trouble on our way to see a movie called Cars?" We gave up then.

We watched De-Lovely instead on DVD. It should be called De-pressing. By the end, I was trying desperately to not look like a crazy crying pregnant woman but then Mistah C said to me, "This is miserable!" which made me think it wasn't just my hormones. It's not a happy movie. It's fine and the music's great but it's not a pick-me-up. I'm so glad we had Lupin the Third as a backup.

Sunday we went to Target and finished up the essential baby shopping. Now we've got everything off the "absolutely critical" list, including the things I'm not blogging about because they're all in that category of, "My what is going to do what for how long after birth?" Things we still will get but will not be a massive hindrance if we don't have at birth: the exquisitely-named Hooter Hider, the Peanut Shell, a second base for the car seat, nursing tops. Things we will get post-birth once we know if we truly need them: everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-sized diaper bag, breast pump and milk collection stuff (not until four weeks after birth), additional changing pad covers, additional anythings, and oh yeah, a crib or baby hammock.

But today's the day I'm getting my braces off, so I have to go get ready and fed and floss. I can't believe they're actually coming off.