Thursday, July 13, 2006

Anniversary Hiatus

Mistah C and I celebrated our wedding anniversary yesterday by taking the day off to bum around with each other. The kid enjoyed Pirates (as did Mistah C and me). I would also like to praise Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine for having such lovely food and exceptional service.

Since our anniversary was post-full-term, both of us had been loathe to make any reservations or expensive plans (like theater tickets). Last night we decided to hit Roy's after checking the menu against the FDA's guidelines for mercury/fish consumption for pregnant women. They had a macademia-nut crusted mahi mahi that would probably be safe as long as I didn't eat more than six ounces of it.

We get to Roy's and find out that the macademia-nut crusted fish of the day is a mercury-laden no-no for preggos. We were hoping to eat the fixe prix menu for a smattering of tastes; the other entree choices are shortribs (not what I wanted to eat in my one nice white shirt) and salmon (which I got too much of working catering during college and as such haven't been able to enjoy since). I explain to the waiter that I'm pregnant and concerned about the mercury levels; could I get a substitution of mahi for the white fish of the day? He says probably not, then goes off and checks with the chef. He can for a substitution fee, which is more than reasonable.

The kid liked the mahi; the kid got hiccups halfway through the entree course that did not stop until I was done with dessert (a sinfully delicious chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce). I ate way too much and ended up feeling the sickest I've felt during the entire pregnancy. It was a blessed relief when I woke up at 2AM and realized I no longer felt like a force-fed goose ready for pate slaughter.

But the food was so delicious. The service was impeccable. I think I probably would have eaten less if I hadn't felt like the kitchen had bent over backwards to accomodate me. I probably don't need to eat much today. But the whole experience was excellent and I highly recommend Roy's for dinner if you've got one nearby.