Monday, July 17, 2006

Prenatal Visit, Week 38 or so

This week's visit was a little anticlimactic. The kid hasn't arrived; I haven't had any more significant Braxton-Hicks contractions. Everything (weight, glucose, protein, fetal heartrate, fundal height) is on track.

My midwife told me to get in a pool if I could, which is funny because the pool keys for our apartment complex arrived this weekend. The problem: a swim suit. The cheap Scotch in me (ancestry, not booze*) makes me wonder about the wisdom of buying a maternity bathing suit two weeks before my due date; the cynic in me says that just the act of buying a (non-returnable) bathing suit will be enough to send me into labor. Maybe I'll hit Target and see if they've got anything on clearance.

It's been hot here and being pregnant doesn't help that. The kid's taking up a lot of room, so I'm trying to remember to eat smaller meals more often. Having said that, I'm still not sick of being pregnant. I'm not horribly uncomfortable; the kid is doing great. I don't know if I'll ever be pregnant again. I have faith the kid will pick its proper birthday when it's ready. There's no point in being impatient. Besides, there are some of you who can be impatient for me!

At this point, it could be any time. It still doesn't feel that way to me. I'm not cleaning walls yet, either, for those of you watching for nesting behaviors. We missed the full moon, a supposed labor-inducer, and we thankfully get to keep our anniversary for our greedy selves (even though I'm sure we would have loved two celebrations on the same day, blah blah whatever).

We met with friends of ours from birth class over the weekend and met their baby, who is a cutie. (Other babies do get cuter as the odds of having your own improve - consider it 400% more estrogen's little gift.) They pointed us towards a breastfeeding supply store associated with one of the local hospitals. Mistah C and I went there Sunday and it was super. They even have a scale in the store, which is the mark of people who understand breastfed baby needs. We'll probably be going back there 7-10 days after birth for any supplies that seem relevant post-baby.

We have heard rumor there is a contingent of CO people in town this week, so that will be this week's excitement (at least, the known excitement). Past that, it's just work work work. I'm just "documenting my job" now, so at least nobody's hounding me.

* Besides, any of you who know Mistah C know that any Scotch in this house is ridiculously expensive single malt Scotch with tongue-twisting names. But that's irrelevant since I haven't touched a single soft cheese, piece of sushi, or drop of booze since the two pink lines showed up.