Saturday, July 01, 2006

Jury duty continues.

I can't say anything about the case, damnit. It will be running over to Monday. We finished closing statements at 4PM Friday.

I have a prenatal appointment Monday morning, which is a bit of a sticky wicket since the trial starts at 9AM. I spoke to the bailiff as I was leaving yesterday afternoon and spent some time with the counsel and judge after the jurors were excused yesterday. The judge is very kind and helpful, especially considering that when I came back in I was on my cell phone with the birth center trying to reschedule the appointment. It was rude to everyone involved. But she was understanding and seemed to appreciate the fact that I was on the phone trying to reschedule.

The birth center's computers were down, so they couldn't reschedule me.

The court basically said I could show up a little late or they would recess early on Monday so I could make a late-day appointment. That's about as understanding as it gets. I have a number to call if I'm late and Mistah C is off Monday so he can drop me off at the courthouse door, instead of my having to plan on an hour and a half of driving and trolley-taking.

But there you are. I'm fulfilling my civic duties again Monday instead of having a day off. I wonder what the guidelines for company holidays are on this - is jury duty "working" on a company holiday? Do I get compensated for it? It took HR two months to figure out maternity leave; God knows when they'll think about this.

The massive amounts of walking this week have taken a toll on me, specifically on my feet. I didn't realize my feet had swollen so much. I'm down to my Birks worn on their loosest notches; even my Crocs are too small, which I wish I'd realized before I wore them yesterday. I've got some blisters on the balls of my feet and some chafed spots on the tops from my Crocs.

Yesterday, I came home and collapsed on the couch long enough to get my strength up to take a bath. I really do mean that I had to rest to get enough strength to go to the bathtub. (And it's quite the feat for a pregnant woman to get out of a reclined bathing position; I needed Mistah C's assistance, which surprised me.) This morning, my feet are still killing me, so I'm going to find an ottoman and put my feet up and not do much today.