Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Backache and Pizza

The problem with being 38+ weeks pregnant is that anything happens and I wonder if I'm in labor. Backache - am I in labor? Twinge in neck - let me check the books; this might be an obscure sign of labor.

Last night I had bad cramps in my lower back. I was determined to ignore the cramps because I was reading but eventually gave in to some gentle stretching exercises, which helped. If I feel any lower back pain, my first question is, "Is this back labor?" There's been a rash of back labor in our class. The books say lower backache may be a sign of prelabor that can happen anywhere from days to weeks before labor but it could also just be a backache.

But the books also say the whole last month of pregnancy is a latent labor period where things are happening even if I can't perceive them happening. I'm resigning myself to the fact that when I go into (active) labor, I'll just have to trust that I know I'm in (active) labor.

More importantly, we found proper NY style pizza last night, the kind that's flat enough to get folded in half. Plus, we're going to have a little CO get-together tomorrow night, so that will be super.